Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Brew crew is at again in 2012. We are backing up our drinking skills with a lot more bike riding this year (I speak for myself). To kick things off, I hit the Icycle and I actually remember the entire evening with considerable clarity. I have learned the trick to this race is to wait till the race is over before the hard drinking begins.

Instead of drinking throughout the day I did a million or so practice runs and wanted to fall asleep by the time I finally got to my race runs. This was my first time ever riding anything with suspension at the event and it seemed that even the hardass class has stepped it up. After riding the Demo on the course all day the two practice runs on the rigid bike was horrifying. I did man up enough to win a pair of socks for risking my life on the rigid but my half ass pedaling job in the suspension class only got me to a mid pack expert finish. Maybe next year I won't stay out till 3 the night before a race.

Oh the Icycle.. great people, good beer and fun trails as always and my roommates didn't disappoint.

Whoever says beer, fireworks and DH bikes don't mix hasn't been to the Icycle.

I make videos now.



After the Icycle it was time to get ready for the big show. Which just meant it was destine to snow again since the heartbreaker has been snowed out for the past two years. However, it did manage to get up to 33 degrees the following weekend so it was just a week later than planed with a mixture of precipitation rather than just snow.

I once again became very aware that I have some badass friends when I pulled up to a dozen or so hardcores waiting in the rain to climb Heartbreak Ridge and then drop it as fast as they can. If the freezing rain didn't get on the way up the sleet storm at the top and already soaked clothes made for a decent on HB that I will not soon forget. Everyone made it to the bottom fairly intact and we learned that 23 minutes from field to field is the time to beat in horrible conditions.

I took some pics














So far it's a great start to the year as far as bicycles go. See you in the woods.

Jut Rut

No comments: